Friday, December 11, 2009

Beginning to plan again!

I'm starting to plan out the next term for our school. I have a CM planner guide from the SCM conference that I went to and it really gives great tips on how to plan your curriculum. I actually feel like I could come up with my own curriculum on my own now. Before now I've been trying to find a curriculum that's already set and making it fit my needs. I'm not sure it's been working the way I want it too.

I'm debating, now...whether to make a few more changes. See, I've been using a lot of Ambleside Online. I love the books that they suggest, however I'm not happy with the order in which they suggest them. For instance, today we read some about the Vikings, followed by Buffalo Bill. They're both great books but there's no time continuity. We took their year 1 and did it for 1 1/2 years so we're about ready to start Year 2 for AO. I've already got the books so I can't just ditch them, but I may need to come up with my own reading schedule. I'd just like for the kids to be reading chronologically as much as possible. We're also using The Story of the World book 1 so we're getting a great Ancient history lesson. Maybe I need to add in more Ancient history living books rather than the ones AO suggests.

Any suggestions?? What have you found that works in the way of history using living books?? I'd love any help you can give!

1 comment:

  1. We changed our history from AO's this past summer because we wanted chronological. We used the Classical Christian history rotation as a guide. I also like how Simply Charlotte Mason has their history rotation set up. SCM has many living boooks on their reading list. Hope you are having a joyous and Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete