Monday, March 29, 2010

Comedy of Errors!

I have never wanted my children to be afraid of Shakespeare. My oldest daughter (age 7) actually loves Shakespeare. She's never actually read the plays but I've read stories to her based on the plays from the time she was old enough to listen. I want my kids to know that even though it's spoken in what amounts to a different language, if we figure it out like a puzzle it's a wonderful story. Her favorite thus far is "Midsummer Night's Dream". This is probably her favorite because this was the first story I read to her.

Last Friday night we were blessed to be able to go to our local college's production of "Comedy of Errors". This was a play that I was unfamiliar with myself. However my husband knew of it and was able to give us the short version before it began. Throughout the first act my husband kept leaning down and explaining things to her. By the intermission dd7 politely told Daddy that she understood and he didn't need to explain it to her. I was amazed. She laughed in all the right spots and got concerned just when she should have. She really got it!

If we aren't afraid of Shakespeare (or if we don't let on to our children that we're afraid) then they won't be afraid either. I was amazed that a couple of college student's sitting behind us were asking us (my daughter included) about the play so that they could write a paper on it for class. They just closed off their minds because they assummed that they wouldn't understand it. I don't want my children growing up that way. Life is full of difficulties and it's how we approach them that can make all the difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment