Thursday, November 5, 2009

Knitting knowledge!







For the past week my daughter (dd7) has been counting down the days until today. Anxiously, and impatiently she's been reminding me that we have a date to the library on Thursday at 10.


See, last week while Man-Man was in his Kindertot class I took the girls to the library. It's a favorite activity or ours and we try to do it as much as possible. We saw a few ladies from our church leaving around the same time we were. They'd previously asked me to join their "Bookworm Stitchers" group after I'd made the comment that I'd always wanted to learn. When they saw us, Mrs. Melanie again told me that I needed to come "learn the art" with them. I laughed, mostly at the thought that I could never get away from all three of my angels every Thursday from 10-12! lol! I told her that if anyone could learn to knit it would be Tink. She's very good with her hands. She loves making potholders with the looms, she loves sculpting out of clay, painting, drawing, and making "God's eye's" with the popsicle sticks and yarn. Tink has ALWAYS wanted to learn to knit. The ladies were delighted and told me to bring her next Thrusday (today) and they'd bring along some smaller needles and extra thread for Tink to learn on.


Oh, the excitment in Tink was almost unbearable. You'd have thought we had just told her we were going to DisneyWorld (which is exactly why our kids DO NOT KNOW of our impending trip to Disney the day after Thanksgiving...they'd never leave us alone! lol!). She's been talking about learning to knit all week and today she finally received her first lesson in knitting.


The group of ladies (all grandmothers or great-grandmothers) meet each week and sit around chatting while making beautiful quilts and other projects. I loved watching my daughter sit and learn from these beautiful and learned ladies. What talent, what a legacy they are! What a blessing for Tink to be taught by them. So, this next week we'll meet at the same place, same time.


Remember, as you're looking for handiworks for your children, that sometimes they can be found right in front of you. There are always ladies or men of an older generation who would be thrilled to teach their craft to a new generation. All too often we're just not interested or we don't take the time to learn. I pray Tink and the rest of my children learn all they can (and I'm hoping that Tink can eventually teach me)!

4 comments:

  1. How wonderful. What special times she is experiencing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! We've dabbled w/knitting, and Em loves it. We need to pick it back up, though. so glad you had a good time! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to learn an old/new art!

    ReplyDelete