It was a crazy weekend so the weekly wrap-up comes as the next week begins. Oh, well!
Last week was full of momentus occasions. Tink (dd7)is really starting to take off in her writing and spelling. She's always loved to write but recently I've noticed her grammar and spelling coming along quite nicely. She also is trying to loose her first tooth (well, she had two pulled by the dentist but this would be her first to loose by herself). Right now we call her, "Buck-tooth" because the permanent tooth has pushed her baby tooth out into an awkward position. Funny and fitting right here at Halloween.
Man-Man (ds5) began putting letters together this week to form words. He started reading! He's always asking me, "Mommy, what does this spell?" and then spelling whatever word he sees to me. So I realized that we don't need to work on letter sounds much more (he's got that down), he's ready to read. I'm surprised because Tink was a lot older before she was ready. That just shows you that each child is different and wonderful in their own way.
Speaking of doing things sooner than I expected, Princess (dd2) started potty training this past week. She just turned 2 on August 30 so this came as a shock to me. My pediatrician warned me at her 2 year check up that due to the fact that her vocabulary skills are so high she'd probably be potty trained by Christmas. This too, was unexpected. Man-Man was three days away from turning 3 before he was trained, and Tink was 2 1/2. Princess has done quite well. She wears "big girl panties" at home during the day and pull ups for bed and when we're away from the house. I must say that I have to train them in actual underwear because they have NO PROBLEM going to potty in a pull up. I guess it's too much like a diaper. So the panties are out and mom's on call all day!
The weekend was so busy! We had a birthday party on Saturday morning for a dear friend and went straight from that to our local college's homecoming parade. My adopted college student was Homecoming Queen so we had to go cheer her on. We came home to get a little nap in before getting dressed in our costumes for Halloween. Tink went as Padme Amidala from Star Wars (Princess Leia's mom), Man-Man was Batman, and Princess was Strawberry Shortcake. I'll post more pics in the next post. We had so much fun! We always do. The kids have been to this every year since they were born. It's a tradition of ours. We came home and trick-or-treated a little in the neighborhood and then we handed out candy. The kids really had a ball and they especially loved handing the candy out. What a fun day!
Well, I need to begin our week now. God bless everyone in their own homeschool journey!
Jill
Monday, November 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





It is wonderful to actually see your children learning instead of finding out second hand from a teacher.
ReplyDeleteMy twins will be 3 yrs in December, no go on the potty training so far. It is okay, I know they will be potty trained by 5 yrs for sure.LOL!
I know what you mean! I love seeing that spark in their eyes, the excitement! Oh, I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world! Plus, they're learning the RIGHT things!!! As for potty training, my son was three before he potty trained. I couldn't imagine training two at one time.
ReplyDelete