We had a wonderful homeschooling week this past week. Since Monday was a holiday and Friday my dd7 goes to an enrichment school I really only had three days of school this week. I knew we wouldn't be able to get through with an entire AO week so I took the opportunity to play catch-up. Can I tell you how wonderful it was??!! I decided to do some of the activities that get put to the side when we run out of time. We had wonderful nature studies (lots of them!) and we did lots of "extra" reading about topics that interest us. We did do Math and Bible each day but other than that we just had fun and played. The kids and I both got so much out of this past week. I know that this is how Charlotte Mason really wants a school run. I know that this week I got a glimpse of her vision. It's a beautiful school once all of the elements come together and the kids are learning and growing on their own time!
For nature study (see previous post for more about this) what I had the children do was explore, have fun, point out new and interesting things. We found spider webs with spiders waiting for their prey, acorns, pecans that haven't rippened yet, vines growing up trees, deer tracks, and so much more. Dd7 brought a few things inside for a type of show and tell. I didn't ask her to do this, she suggested it on her own. We then drew pictures of their favorite parts of the walk. Ds5 drew a picture of a neat stick that he found (such a boy!). And dd7 drew many many drawings on her sheet. She even made a cover art for our nature study notebook. They are loving this new part of school and I promise that this will not be pushed aside any longer. To see my children notice and appreciate all of God's creation is such a joy to my heart. They point out things to me that I would just walk right by. I almost stepped on a mushroom on the ground before they yelled and told me to be careful. We then got down low to the ground exploring this mushroom. God made all things in heaven and earth to proclaim His glory and I don't want to take that for granted anymore.
I think we'll do a catch-up week every six weeks or so from now on. It's a wonderful time to have fun, do some of the things you've missed, and take a little break from the monotony. I can't wait for this week to begin. There is so much in store for us all!
Sunday, September 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





I love weeks like this. It is so important to find time for the gentle stuff, isn't it? Your catch up weeks are a great idea!
ReplyDeleteLove catch up weeks too. I think exploring and observing God's creation is a beautiful way to spend time with your children. We need to do this more ourselves. Many blessings.
ReplyDelete