Monday, February 8, 2010

CM education in the Bible?

I love it when the Bible teaches me something new. Isn't it glorious that each time we read it, God can lay something special and specific on our hearts? This weekend He reinforced the method of homeschooling that He's led me too, Charlotte Mason.

My husband teaches a college SS class at our church. On Sat. night we were reviewing the lesson and something amazing struck me. The passages are found in Mark 12:28-34. Earlier in this chapter the Sadducees and the Herodians and the Pharisees had been trying to trap Jesus by asking questions that, no matter how He answered would make some people mad enough to want Him dead. Of course, Jesus answered perfectly "and they were amazed at Him".

Verse 28 picks up with one of the scribes who had an honest question and was really wanting to know the answer. He asked Jesus "what commandment is the foremost of all?" (Mark 12:28) Jesus answered him in verses 29-31 stating that "you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength." "The second is this, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' "

Here comes the lesson: look at verses 32-34. In these verses the scribe narrates back to Jesus exactly what He just spoke and even added in some of his own interpretation to prove that he thoroughly understood the Lord's words when he said, "...is much more than all burnt offerings and sacrifices."


Notice Jesus' response, "You are not far from the kingdom of God." Wow! Even Jesus taught this way. It struck me immediately that that was what Miss Mason says about narration. If we're able to repeat the passage, story, or lesson back and add some interpretation of our own, then we've truly mastered the content.

I am so pleased with the way in which God has guided me in our homeschool. He continues to show me daily where I need to pick up the pace, slow down, or switch all together. Daily I thank Him for this gift that he's given me, the gift of my children and the ability to teach them in His ways to the best of my knowledge.

Jill

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jill, Nice to meet you! I'm Sarah from Vic, Australia and I homeschool CM with my son (9) and daughter (5). I've just browsed around your blog and I look forward to coming back for some more research.

    It's great to connect!

    Cheers,

    Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, thanks so much! I love meeting new friends and thank you for taking the time to read. I hope you enjoy! God bless!

    ReplyDelete