Monday, February 22, 2010

Wonderful History

As the children work on their Moses coloring I sit here and am reminded how truly blessed I am to be able to teach my children in the way that God has led me. We're learning about the Ancients this year. We're on Egypt right now and I love that I'm able to teach them the TRUTH. Our books are: the Story of the World, D'Aulaires book of Greek Myths, and A Wonder Book by Nathaniel Hawthorne (with some additional picture books thrown in every now and then). Now, I can imagine how confusing and twisted these books could get in a school setting. (Actually, we all know that they would not even be used at grades k and 2.) But my kids are eating them up! They are fascinated with the Egyptians and learning the actual places spoken of so much in the Bible. They love learning about the Greek gods and the heroes of Greek mythology. Yet, they know also that these are myths, fairy-tales if you will. I am with them step by step to guide them in what's real and what's made up. There is no confusion on their part and actually I sense them tiring of me telling them that some things are false. They have that, "Mom, we know that!" look on their faces. At least I know we're doing something right!

Thank you, Lord that I can teach my children the history of the world from a Biblical and truthful perspective. What a joy and blessing I've been given. May I always take my responsibility seriously to guide my children in Your ways and truths.

2 comments:

  1. We are reading some about the Greek heros and myths now also. My daughter loves them. The interest in the Greeks has been revived alot lately through the Percy Jackson books.
    Blessings
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ancients were always fun to me, and they are to my Sprite too. Why save them for high school? Bring the fun on in elementary ages.

    ReplyDelete