Wednesday, August 5, 2009

CM- A Method of Education

For those of you new to the blog I've decided to add my thoughts, ideas, and favorite passages as I read through the Charlotte Mason Original Homeschooling Series. There is a wealth of information in this series and I feel overwhelmed at the daunting task of trying to get it all into this blog. I will be simply placing the passages and ideas that I feel most drawn too. Now, you may read the series (which I do hope you will) and find something totally different. But isn't that what is great about books and literature? It's all in the eye of the beholder.

So, we pick up on page 6 of Volume 1. Miss Mason is speaking on the "traditional methods of education".

The traditions of the elders have been tried and found wanting; it will be long before the axioms of the new school pass into common currency; and, in the meantime, parents are thrown upon their own resources, and absolutely must weigh principles, and adopt a method, of education for themselves. CM vol. 1 page 6

I've read many times that Miss Mason was a woman 100 years before her time. This point that she makes here proves that is true. Here we are in the year 2009 and the "traditions of the elders" are still found wanting. No school is perfect, including our homeschools, but I think Miss Mason agrees that there is a need for a change from the typical example of schools in todays world (or the 19th century world even).

She goes on to talk about the methods and systems which are used in schools. She defines method as "natural; easy, yielding, unobtrusive, simple as the ways of Nature herself; yet, watchful, careful, all-pervading, all-compelling." (page 8)

She defines a system at the "observing of rules until the habit of doing certain things, of behaving in certain ways, is confirmed..." (page 9) She goes on to say that "though system is highly useful as an instrument of education, a 'system of education' is mischievous, as producing only mechanical action instead of the vital growth and movement of a living being"(page 10).

Miss Mason's approach to education is not a system made up of rules and a daily to-do list. She uses the following chapters to try to let the parents know some of the fundamental principles of education so they won't be tempted by the "system" of some people's views on education.

The Child in the Midst- And first, let us consider where and what the little being is who is entrusted to the care of human parents. A tablet to be written upon? A twig to be bent? Wax to be moulded? Very likely; but he is much more- a being belonging to an altoghether higher estate than ours; as it were, a prince committed to the fostering care of peasants. (CM page 11)

As you can probably tell, I love love this passage! I named my blog after this passage and the quote is at the top right of the blog. There is so much meat here. What is this "little being" that we are entrusted to care for? How shall we view him/her? And not only that, but we must realize that they don't even belong to us. They are entrusted to us for a time. It is our responsibility to "raise them in the nurture and admoniton of the Lord" (Ephesians 6:4). We will give an account to almighty God and I want to make sure that the education I'm giving them is the best I possibly can. I feel it's one of my main goals in life. God called me to homeschool. I never thought I'd do this. But He called me and I accepted that call. I am responsible to Him and Him alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment