Saturday, August 1, 2009

Recitation/ Memory work

As I finish up my lesson plans for the first unit of school I am at a loss as to which poems or pieces of literature to have the children work on memorizing. Charlotte Mason believes that children have a much greater ability to memorize than we give them credit for. I wholeheartedly agree with her. My children began learning scripture verses last year and by the end of the first term they had each (ages 4 and 6 last year) learned 20 verses...my 6 year old even more.

The way I chose my verses from last year were by using the verses they were supposed to be learning in church. I help teach Bible Buddies at our church and at the beginning of the year there is a long list of scripture verses each child is handed. I figured, why reinvent the wheel? So my children set out to learn those verses plus many others that I loved.

This year I'm going to try the scripture memory program selected by SimplyCharlotteMason.com. It looks amazing and I found it over a year ago. However I've been waiting until now to put it into effect.

This still leaves the question as to which longer piece of work that I'd like the children to memorize this term. This would be one single work (it will more than likely differ with each child) that they would work on memorizing for the term and have a little program with parents and grandparents at the end to recite it. Public speaking is very high on my priority list as well as Miss Mason's.

Here is a tid bit that I copied from LindaFay at her blog, Higher Up and Further In.

Here is what Miss Mason recommended children of various ages learn within a twelve week term of school:

6 to 8 year olds- Recite a poem (each child may choose a different one), learn two hymns, a Psalm, and two suitable scripture passages of 6 verses each

9-11 year olds- A Psalm, and two suitable passages of about 12 verses each, two hymns, a scene from the Shakespeare play being studied this term, or, 40 lines from this term's poet such as Longfellow.

12-14 year olds- Learn two suitable passages of about 20 verses each from chapters in Bible Lessons. Two hymns, a Psalm of David. A scene from the Shakespeare play being studied this term, or 50 lines from this term's poet.

15-17 year olds- Learn two suitable passages of 20 verses each from chapters in Bible Lessons. Two hymns. Two psalms. Two poems (approx 50 lines), or, a scene from Shakespeare.


Thus, I continue to search for the passage to memorize for this term. I'll let you know what I find. I value any suggestions you may have.

1 comment:

  1. The SCM system is fantastic - we use it for Jemimah with a few adaptations. I blogged about it here if you're interested:

    http://ohpeacefulday.blogspot.com/2008/09/memorising-scripture.html

    ReplyDelete