Thursday, August 27, 2009

How to fit it in!

The school year is just beginning. We're in week 4. Well, actually we're almost done with week 4. Is anyone else finding it hard to fit it all in? I've been hearing this so much recently and it makes me feel a little better knowing that I'm not the only one. So what do we do about it? How do we find more time?

For me, I have to realize that my goals are still being met even when I don't have time for everything. There is SO MUCH GOOD and wonderful material that I'd love to teach my children. I find more everyday.

Through prayer I pick out what I feel God is leading me too on the major subjects. He led me to a wonderful Bible story book, Egermeier's Bible Story Book. We begin each day reading a story from the book and my dd7 draws a picture to go along with the story. We started this last year and she has a beautiful portfolio of her drawings over the past year that I know I will treasure always! This is how I test what she's learned from each story. It's amazing to see what she decides to draw. She'll find the little things in the story sometimes and draw about those. Or other times she'll draw one big picture about the main theme.

We also make sure each morning to go over our Bible verses and Key Passages from the Bible that we're learning for Bible buddies. Bible buddies is the class that comes before Bible Drill in our church and the children have a list of verses and Key passages to learn each year. Once we're done learning those I'll add more to our morning routine.

For me, those are the major, most important things to get done each day. Teaching my children about the Lord and bringing them up in the "nurture and admonition of the Lord" is my #1 goal. All else will come as a blessing from God for doing those things.

Now I'm not saying that that's all we do! Not by any means. What I'm saying is that that is my PRIORITY! Language Arts, Math, Science, and History, Handwriting, and Copywork always follow...but if there is a day that I can't get one of those done then I know I can make it up.

We really love doing art, picture study, and our AO readings in our home. To me, these are some of the things that set us apart from a regular school. What are you doing in your homeschool that sets you apart? What is something that you do with your children that they wouldn't get if they were in a public school? Focus on these positive aspects of your school. No, we don't get to our picture study or art everyday or even every week (which is what I have it planned for). But it's there and we love it when we can do it. It's o.k. It's o.k. to not fit it all in.

Keep going, don't give up, and most importantly pray! Pray that God will give you a peace about what to teach and what's o.k. to save for later. There will always be more that we'd like to teach our children than time in the day to get it accomplished. Focus on doing what you can do with all of the energy and love that it requires. Remember, quality-not quantity!

I can't wait to see what the Lord has in store for all of us this year!

Jill

1 comment:

  1. I love this post. We started out slowly with AO too. We focused on Bible, phonics, reading, and math throughout the Summer. We found that starting gently has helped both my son and me. We also found things that needed to be tweaked and changed. With term two, we have begun adding little things like artist and composer studies. I think you are right, starting with the Lord is a blessing, all other things can be caught up on if life gets in the way. We have started a morning routine that includes all the children. Got the idea after reading one of your posts, thank you. Praising the Lord with song, prayers, and reading of His word has been a joyful way to start the day. The Little ones love to be included. Looking forward to reading how your term goes. Many blessings.

    ReplyDelete