Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Life lessons



We took a break from school this morning to get a real lesson in life. We have to take these opportunities as they come and I'm so glad we were able to this morning. Isn't that one of the joys of homeschooling? We are able to teach and guide our children in the way we see best. And when life lessons come up we are able to drop everything and go!

This morning a unit from our town was deployed to Mosul, Iraq for a year. I don't have the privilege of knowing anyone from this unit however the tears ran down my face just the same. As the unit left there was a parade of police, motorcycles, and busses through the town. Our city asked everyone to line the streets to wave goodbye to them and to tie yellow ribbons in rememberance. I explained (in as simple terms as I could) to my 7 year old daughter and 5 year old son where they were going and why. I explained that they were our heros and we were going out to wave to show our support and let them know that we love them and will be praying for them. I still get emotional as I write this...those brave men and women giving their lives for us. My children asked why they would do something like that. I said, because they love us and they love our country and want to protect us.


Isn't this what our Lord Jesus did for us. Many say, why would anyone do something like that...give their own life so that others may live. Because He loves us with an undying passion. He created us. He adores us. He has provided a way, through His death, that we may spend eternity in heaven with Him. I feel so ashamed that I sometimes go through the day without giving Him much time. He stands always waiting to talk, guide, protect. Look at all He's sacrificed. He deserves so much more than I can give.


Like Jesus, we also go through our day without giving much thought to those brave men and women who are risking their lives for us as well. Not that they are equal in any way to our Lord. That's not my point. But they are giving all they have and are we truly grateful? Let us remember to support these troops, pray for them, and help to take care of their families while they're gone. I'm proud that my church has adopted this unit's families. We've already had a dinner for them in their honor and will be doing much more as the year progresses. I pray we'll have a great celebration in a year when these brave men and women come home!
Jill

2 comments:

  1. This post brought tears to my eyes. Your faith shines through.
    My brother is an Captain in the Army National Guard, he is on his third tour, this time in Afghanistan. He lost 9 of his men in Iraqi 2 years ago. He wears their names on a bracelet that he never takes off.
    They are a combat infantry unit. They are seeing combat daily. My brother loves his country, he volunteers so his children can enjoy freedom. I will tell him of your post. I think it is nice for them to hear that most Americans are grateful. You would not know it, if you listen to the media. Again thank you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I love my Jesus and I love my country. I pray that is shown in all that I do. I'd be honored if you would tell your brother about the many Americans who, though we don't know their names, pray for and love the men and women serving for us. That's what a true hero is. And since my 5 year old boy is all into hero's he was blessed to get to see some REAL ones that day!

    ReplyDelete